Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions... So Many to Make, So Few Engines to Choose.

Guess my Search Insider topic












On Monday I put out a call via Twitter to see if anyone could guess what I'd be writing about this week in my Search Insider column.

Most of the responses were related to Bing. And, in a way, they were right. I do talk about Bing and the idea of decision engines.

Others thought I'd dig into Twitter or social media.

Some of the responses were downright wacky (albeit fair) such as @unsavory's "Pink Socks: The Do's & Don'ts of Wearing Pastels in the Workplace."

@RobWilk nailed it though with this one:
"How to use Twitter to generate interest in an upcoming Search Insider column?"

Somehow no-one guessed I'd be revisiting Hunch -- my Google Killer muse. I'm surprised no-one got it given my recent coverage of this week's public launch of Hunch.com.

At any rate, here's the blurb...

Is Hunch The IPhone Of Search?

As much as I like Bing and think that it has effectively closed the gap with Google from a user experience perspective, it's going to require drastic measures to catch Google's market share and revenue. That said, as Microsoft has often stated, we're still in the early innings of the search game and Bing may just be the rally-inducing hit Microsoft needs. But Bing is still a search engine -- actually, more of a search portal. What search needs is an iPhone. What search needs is a decision engine. Not a search engine with a tagline that says decision engine, but a true decision engine.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails